* I can't run a mile (yet) but I can swim one. Tonight I swam a mile without stopping - 35 laps at the YMCA. It took me 65 minutes - my pace just kept slowing down. But I did it and I didn't stop. And apparently earned 23 activity points for the 65 minutes of lap swimming. Wow.
* I have not watched the Hunger Games movie yet that opened this week. I am hoping to actually take my day off on Friday and treat myself to a matinee. The trick will be facing the popcorn dilemma. I might have to save some weekly points to have some.
* I bagged up some of my too-big clothes this weekend. I didn't even get to my sweaters, just the pants and dresses. They are currently sitting in my spare bedroom and I am uncertain what to do with them. I know that I should get rid of them, but that seems scary. What if I falter or fail this time around? But keeping them might seem like a jinx too - clinging to the fear that I might gain it all back as opposed to moving forward. I have no intention of going back, but there is real anxiety in giving up the security of the clothes that I have. What do you guys think?
* I have amazing friends. Several friends have given me or promised me clothes they've grown out of. Another sent me a gift card to use to buy some new clothes this week. Knowing how much money losing weight can cost those little things are so HUGE for me. And beyond that, with every message, and cheer and comment I feel so much love and support for what I'm doing. It really chokes me up to know that there are so many people rooting for me.
* I was approached by a PhD student named Amanda to see if I would share a survey for her final research. It is on how partner's can influence weight loss, specifically whether partner's can undermine weight loss. Here is an excerpt of her email with all the information you need to participate if you'd like. She only needs 15 more people to participate to complete her research. From Amanda:
For my own part I know that both Mr. Goat and I have both underminded each other's weight loss attempts before. This time we are both on board at the same time and it makes a world of difference! I hope you will share with Amanda if you are able.
I think many of your readers have a ton of precious insight on this topic and I’d like to ask them to share. Many people who have taken the survey have written to thank me for bringing this topic to light in a scientific way. My long term aim is to develop a couples-level intervention to address partner undermining directly through building acceptance and deeper understanding.All the information about the anonymous, online survey is hosted here at my university’s website: http://surveys.clarku.edu/Survey.aspx?s=aab073a40aa64a55a2ad7a0f72c7ea0aThis survey is designed for those who can answer yes to the following questions:Have you been participating in a weight loss program for the last 5 consecutive weeks?
Have you been in a committed, cohabitating relationship for the last two years?
Do you ever feel like your current partner/spouse gets in the way of your weight loss?Besides helping to advance scientific inquiry on this topic, each participant who completes the survey may also select to have $1 donated by the researcher to the participant’s choice of 1 of these 5 charities: Playworks, The Carter Center , Teach for America, Susan G. Komen for the Cure, or MAP International. Additionally, participants may opt to enter a drawing for 1 of 10 gift cards (one $100 card and nine $25 cards).
* One more amazing link. My friend Erica has lost over 90 lbs and she has decided to give back as she approaches 100 pounds lost. So she is raising money to dig a well for people who need fresh water. If you'd like to help her with her goal and support her amazing success you can do so here.