Well, I managed to stay awake until 12 midnight last night, kiss Mr. Goat a Happy New Year and I promptly rolled over and went to sleep. This is the life of married folks with small kids I suppose. Little goat graciously slept in and now he and I are hanging in our pajamas while Mr. Goat and Papa are at the Vikings game. So far 2012 is off to a good start.
2011 was a good year over all, but it had a lot of tough parts. I'm looking forward to 2012 and making it a year to commit to getting healthier overall - mentally, physically, spiritually, emotionally. And best of all Mr. Goat and I are on the same page. This is the year to figure it out - what works may ultimately look differently for each of us, but this is the year to begin making it a priority.
So to that end, and in honor of 2012 here are 12 things I want to keep in my mind this year as I commit again to becoming more healthy. These are not resolutions per se, but simply things that I need to remember for me to be successful.
1. Healthy living is not an all-or-nothing proposition. Balance is necessary.
2. Go easy on myself when I make a mistake - this is hard stuff, mistakes happen but get derailed long-term.
3. Start everyday over again. This is a one-day-at-a-time sort of process.
4. Ask questions, ask for advice. People want to help me and it will help me stay accountible.
5. Family demands will change your plans, be flexible and find new ways to make things work.
6. Being hungry sometimes is NOT that big a deal. Listen to what your stomach is really saying.
7. Drink your water - it always helps.
8. Little goat deserves a mother with more energy.
9. Even if I manage to lose a pound a week all year that is 52 pounds. Little efforts grow to big changes!
10. Track my food. It really is a key to success.
11. Keep an eye on my emotions - they trigger unnecessary eating far more often than hunger.
12. I am worth it.
12 things to keep in mind. I'll need to print these out and remind myself of them. What would you add to this list?
2012 is the time to do it. So far I've joined weight watchers again, tracked my breakfast and am drinking my water. Those are easy things, but it makes a big difference. Join me on the journey this year?