My battery is dying, I don't have a charger and I'm operating on very little sleep, but I want to record some observations from the last 36 hrs. So this is free flow and general. The basics: We are in the hospital with baby goat after a cold moved into his lungs too quickly and triggered his asthma. We are negative for all the big nasties - pneumonia, RSV, flu. So we are just hanging out making due as we wait for his lungs to catch up and his steroids to kick in. All in all we are doing well and I'm so grateful for everyone's good thoughts.
That out of the way here are a few of the things I've discovered...
* The soap is still the same in the hospital. We are at the hospital we delivered at, where I spent a week on bedrest and 46 days with E in the NICU. The soap gives me the willies every time I washed my hands today. It is just the same as it was during those panicky days.
* The panic of waking up from a nap caught at home in the middle of the day and realizing your kid is in the hospital is the same panic as back then too.
* Baby goat can charm the pants off of any nursing staff anywhere. They just eat out of his adorable hands.
And how could they not?
* I didn't realize a parenting skill was being able to pin your toddler down as they tried *4 times* to insert an IV, all while singing Old MacDonald and having a baby rage in your arms.
* Baby goat does better on little sleep than I do but even he can only manage for so long. He looks pretty tired here doesn't he? A whole night of not sleeping and being sick does that to a kid.
* I can will myself not to throw up in the presence of my son getting sick, but that may be the only person for whom that is true.
* Ceilings on cribs make baby goat upset!
* I have amazing friends who check in and offer all sorts of wonderful things.
* Ditto to our families
* We have done this TOO much for baby goat's 22 months. He has now spent at least one night in the hospital every calendar year in which he's been alive (2009, 2010, and 2011). We need a rest.
* My battery is dead now. Baby goat is sleeping soundly in his hospital crib jail. I will be sleeping soon myself tripping to be back in a hospital bed. Thank you all. Thank you.