Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A tale of two Fathers' Days

Here is a special treat for all of you in blogland: A guest post today from the one and only Mr. Goat.

This past weekend and the upcoming week are the resident blogger's busiest time of the year, but more about that later.  Accordingly, this week I believe that you will see some sporadic posting and some guest bloggers.  Today's post is brought to you by Mr. Goat, whose comments in no way reflect those of the resident blogger, except for when they do.

As I already mentioned, this time of year is the resident blogger's busiest at work.  Some years the week had coincided with our anniversary--that wasn't the case this year, but it has been in the past.  This year and last, the weekend reserved to prepare for the week included Fathers' day.  It has in other years too, but I wasn't a father in those years so I wasn't paying that much attention.  What you should know is that the weekend generally requires 12 to 18 hour days for the resident blogger on Saturday and Sunday.

I promised you a tale of two Fathers' days so here you are:

Last year it was my first fathers' day.  I figured the rewards were about to start accruing back to me--excepting the year that I forgot, and the other year that I forgot (but the first year that I forgot I got my dad a daughter in law the day before).  I had been a SAHD for the last month and knew that the weekend would be more of the same, plus some extra in the evening.  No big deal.

BUT, baby goat was outgrowing his Zantac dose and he was in great pain from acid reflux.  He spent the whole day screaming and there wasn't a lot I could do for him.  Sister Goat, who was here for the week to help spent part of the day helping the resident blogger at work, but came home in the afternoon to help me, and huge help she was.  It wasn't a bad day, but it was a trying one in the life and times of Baby Goat.

Fast forward to this this year:  the resident blogger had several evening events at the end of the week and daycare was closed on Friday.  That meant three days in which I would be responsible for essentially all parenting activities.  My mom suggested that Baby Goat and I spend the weekend at her house--an invitation that seemed like the way to go.
We went to Grandma and Grampa Goat's on Friday morning.  We hadn't been there very long when Baby Goat, who has become very adept at climbing seated himself in my rocking chair.

As an aside, you'll have to excuse the photo quality throughout this post.  All I had with me was my blackberry, so this is what you get.

We went out to lunch with Grampa and Sister Goat to escape the vaccuum cleaner and then went to visit Grandma at her office and to a park to burn some energy.

After a nap, there was a ride from Grampa in the wagon that was built by my Grandpa.  It's fun to see Baby Goat enjoy my toys, but it's even better to see him enjoy something like that.  I know that Grandpa would be thrilled to know his great grandson was enjoying that wagon.  (Sorry, no picture from me, but I think my dad's camera has some).

Saturday was equally eventful and then some.  There was a playdate with one of my high school friends and his kids, an outing with grandma and Grampa, and dinner out.  I spent the day trying to figure out a special brother-sister date to take Sister Goat on.

At bedtime, Baby Goat wasn't feeling well.  He was having a lot of trouble breathing and didn't want to be put into bed.  I decided it was was time to go see a Doctor--so Sister Goat, Baby Goat and I went to the Urgent Care/Emergency Room at the local hospital.  (The local hospital is called "River's Edge, but they built it on top of the hill and on the prairie.  What's up with that?)

At the same time we were there, there were two much more serious emergencies that came in by ambulance.  One had to be airlifted out, which took longer than I expected.  We heard the helicopter land and then heard it take off about 30 minutes later.

There was a chest x-ray, there were labs, and there were several nebulizer treatments.  There was also a lot of waiting.  Baby Goat though is very patient, no pun intended, and an excellent patient.  The contraption they use to take a toddler's chest x-ray is monstrous looking, but Baby Goat took it like a champ.

The ER doc told us early on that Baby Goat would have to spent the night in the hospital.  The local on call doc wasn't comfortable taking him as a patient because she deals primarily with adults, so we were going to have to move.   I entertained trying to get back to the cities and to Baby Goat's first "home" --the hospital where the NICU was, but that was a silly idea.  We decided to take him to a nearby hospital.  First, I was going to drive him, but after talking to the ER doc and watching Baby Goat need so many nebulizer treatments and struggle mightily to breathe, I decided we'd better go by ambulance.

I rode the ambulance with Baby Goat, and Sister Goat took my car home to get some things for me.  She also brought my mommy.  Getting into the ambulance, Baby Goat was more comfortable than he had been all night. He had another nebulizer treatment en route and slept the whole way.

I have to admit that the little boy in me kind of enjoyed the ride.  You know, trucks and machines and the like.  The paramedic was very friendly and professional and I think that I recognized the driver from presentations at cub scouts and school and such.

We got to the second hospital just after midnight.   My mom and sister arrived shortly thereafter. Sister Goat left about 2 AM but my mom stayed with me.  I had said that someone should stay home and sleep, so my dad dutifully complied.  The pediatrician on call ordered some meds by phone.  They weren't going to start the antibiotic though until the next morning.  I insisted otherwise and it was administered forthwith.  Baby Goat then administered it to his bed forthwith.

Although we weren't going to see a doctor until the next morning, we ended up seeing him at 3 AM.  Someone had the audacity to be born, so he had to come and see the newborn.  We just lucked out.  It was a huge help to have my mom there though--she was a bit more awake than me at several points, including this one.

By the next morning, Baby Goat was feeling much better.  He slept late, some in his spaceship-looking crib, and some in the hospital bed with me.  Having slept late, Baby Goat enjoyed a leisurely brunch with Grandma Goat and was getting back to his old self.


and a spaceship looking crib...

Baby Goat got to feeling better and started moving around the room.  Here he is trying to leave the room in his hospital gown, complete with the old-man-ass-out look.

Grandma and Baby Goat took a nap in the afternoon while I went out to get his prescriptions filled since we were going home. Once they both woke up we went back to Grandma and Grampa's.  We enjoyed a lovely father's day meal of leftover hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, brocolli and cauliflower salad, and grapes.  Probably some other stuff too.

Also, Grandma found these lemons:

We didn't eat those.

Baby Goat got to bed early last night and slept straight through for 11 1/2 hours.  He's still tired, but doing 1000% better.  This morning I found him in my parents kitchen where somone had tried to lock cabinets by putting table knives between the handles--he was wielding a knife in each hand, ninja style.  Sorry, but expedient knife removal precluded a photo.

I'm tired. Baby Goat and I were both thrilled to see the resident blogger this afternoon--but I think she was more excited to see us.  This was a very memorable Father's Day, but I'm hoping that the trend doesn't continue.

We went to my parents so that I'd have more help with Baby Goat.  I wasn't expecting to need this much help, but I'm so glad I had it.  Thanks Mom, Dad, and Sister Goat!  We love you all!

No one is more thankful that this resident blogger that she has such an amazing father for baby goat and an amazing family willing to take on a weekend that ended up being much different from expected.  Thank you Mr. Goat for the blog post and for all you do for baby goat.  We are so so lucky.  (P.S.  I tried to leave and drive down in the middle of the night but they told me emphatically to stay home and finish my work.  Luckily I knew they were in great hands with Mr. Goat and his family).


Laura said...

wow. That had to be scary. I'm so glad he's doing well. Must be nice to be back home together. Liz, you must've hugged that little baby goat tight all night. What a weekend.

Rebecca said...

Wow, great to hear from you, Papa Goat! What a great story of your weekend - some fun, some not so fun. Great pictures, too. My favorite is the rotten lemons. That completed the story perfectly.

DaisyGal said...

HI Mr Goat..and thank you for being the resident blogger...

OMG, what a scary weekend, but I am so glad that Baby Goat is feeling better. I know that my life lately feels like one drama after another and that's what I felt reading this, but feeling like "Not for Liz and Mr Goat"....please not them

happy Father's Day...hope the next one is very very very uneventful and just full of kisses and hugs

Melissa Hickman said...

What a scary weekend. I am so relieved to hear the little man is doing better now. You had lots of prayers and virtual hugs coming your way. Hats off to a great daddy!

Anti-Supermom said...

I'm so glad that Baby Goat is doing much better, but what a scary ordeal!

I would have secretly (in the *right* situation) would have loved an ambulance ride too.