So today is the official kickoff of The Lutheran Geek's Couch to 5k Challenge. See, I even have a fancy blog button that you can borrow for your posts. Some people have expressed confusion about just how this is going to work, particularly since we are all in different places on our journey. I've established some very loose rules for this challenge but I'm a naturally forgiving person so I want you to make it work. Here are the rules for ME and what I suggest for you as well.
1. Each week set a goal for the week's Couch to 5k challenge. It may be "complete week 3 of the program" or "repeat week 7 until I am able to do it without cheating." I will be doing this myself. I am likely to be repeating weeks here and there. I want this to be flexible because I don't want anyone to get so off track that they feel guilty coming back later. (Find the program as it is suggested here)
2. Each Monday write a blog post about the couch to 5k challenge. Write what worked, what didn't work, what was hard or easier than you expected. Be honest. If you failed just say so and ask for support to get going the next week. I know that I will be. Include pictures if you'd like, and please use the button and link to my blog. But most importantly every post should have two things: How last week did, and the upcoming week's goal. (Don't have a blog? Consider a facebook note and post the link here too!)
3. After your blog post is written come here and add your own to my Mcklinky. With the exception of this week I'm going to work hard to post mine early on Monday mornings so that you can link up whenever it is convienient.
4. Part of the reason that I'm committing to this challenge is the support I've been given and so I want to pass it around. I'm going to commit myself to commenting on EVERY linked post each week, but I would ask that you post encouragement to at least two other linked posts a week. We all need support and love.
5. Have an end goal. I'm going to run the Liz Logelin Foundation 5k in September (Date TBD) but you may find yourself, or even set a loftier goal. However I am hoping to have a huge group of novice runners running with me. Plus we'll have to have a party afterwards too! So consider joining us for that, but more information will be forth coming as it gets closer.
6. Have fun, challenge yourself and keep trying. (I will need reminding of this rule often).
So, those are the rules as I am setting them. Are you in? I hope so! Even if you aren't ready to start now there is a lot of time between now and September. You can start at any time you feel ready. New challenge members are always welcome. Likewise, if you miss a week come back and try again. No judgment here, just support.
So since this is the kickoff I have no week previous to summarize but here is in my goals for the next week:
- Get out and try the first day of the Couch to 5k challenge at least 3xs this week. Keep trying until I can do the first day as it is written. If I master that I'll continue with week 1.
- Buy new running shoes. (I the right size on order which are coming in this week).
- Download the Couch to 5k podcasts.
(P.S. Sorry it is so late at night - the holiday celebrations and computer battery life had me delayed today!)